Saturday, January 30, 2010

Davis Funeral


It was cold, 29 degrees, and there was a trace of snow in the air when we arrived at the cemetery this afternoon. The wind was out of the north at about 10 miles per hour. Everyone except the funeral director was in their warm cars waiting. At about 5 minutes till three I got out of the car and walked to the grave side. Bro. Davis' casket was cold in that wind. I took this picture and then looked up to see that everyone else had gotten out of their cars to join me. The service was brief, Bro. Ron Witcher read some verses, said a few words, and then called on me to close with prayer. We visited only briefly due to the cold. They opened the casket to allow those who had not been able to attend the service to see the body. I thought, just for an instant, that he would be cold. I turned and headed for the car. Janie was shivering as we walked back to the car. The drive home was quite, Janie napped off and on. We stopped for a bite to eat and made it home about 6:00.

It was a long day. I had gotten up early and was joined at breakfast by my oldest grandson. We had blueberry bagels with peanut butter. I was making some notes on my sermon and he asked if I enjoyed correcting my sermons. I thought that was an odd question. I have had to correct sermons before and, no, it was not fun. I explained I was just making some additional notes.

The church house was full except for the choir loft. The service lasted an hour and a half. I preached the sermon leaving out several things for fear that I would not be able to control my emotions if I said them. They played the CD of Bro. Davis singing and several people in the congregation cried. It was snowing outside when the service ended. We ate lunch at the church then went over to my mother's house so Janie could change into something warmer. This second picture I took before everyone had arrived. It is of my brother sitting with my grandkids.

No comments: