Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Luxury

I want to make the hike with my grandson an enjoyable one. The kind of hiking I do normally is ultra lite. I take only those things that are needed. I do not take luxury items. Ultra lite hiking is not comfortable hiking. One tries to hike as far as he can each day so that he can finish in the fewest days possible. The more days you are on the trail the more food and water you have to carry. The hike with my grandson will find me carrying a pillow and eggs. We will only be on the trail for a day and a half and so we will be able to bring along some good food and a few comforts. This will make for an enjoyable first time hike and as he grows he will discover the benefits to ultra lite hiking. We plan to go over to Henderson tomorrow so Janie can check on her parents and I can check on mine. My grandson and I need to go to Wal-Mart to pick up the things we need for the hike so we will do that as well.
The picture is of my granddaughter trying on my back pack from 2 years ago. This pack weighed over 2 pounds and the one I made and use now weighs 12 ounces. The tent I took 2 years ago weighed over 2 and 1/2 pounds and the one I carry now weighs 25 ounces.

I plan to finish the 17th chapter of John on Sunday and will pause the John series for a while. I must preach, and people need, the whole word of God so for the sake of a well balanced spiritual diet I will put John on hold. God bless you.

No comments: