Friday, May 30, 2008

Guard Duty


The picture if of my father-in-law when he was in the Marines during World War II. Often he would have to be on guard duty. It would be his job to protect a location and keep unauthorized people out. I have enjoyed the many war stories he has told over the years. He has seen more of the world than I will ever see and has experinced things I will never experince. His generation is truly amazing. I honor him and my own father, pictured below in his navy uniform, as Father's day approaches. These men were raised during hard times and then volunteered to join the military and go to war. They were and are truly patriots.
I am now on guard duty. I watch over these two men and guard them and their welfare as they guarded mine even before I was born. The Bible teaches us that we should respect our elders. I was at the dentist's office this morning and my dentist is about 80 years old. He came out to the waiting room to bid me fairwell and I stood when he entered the room. There was a 24 year old man in the room who kept his seat and did not acknowledge him in any way. When did we stop teaching young people to rise at the hoary head?
I will be back in Hillsboro late this evening and while I am here with my father-in-law watching over him, I will be putting the finishing touches on Sunday's sermon taken from Romans chapter 3. I will also start Sunday night's sermon and will finish it Saturday morning. My wife plans to run the bulletin Saturday and so we will be at the church quite a while on Saturday. God bless you.

No comments: