Sunday, May 23, 2010

Euphemisms

"I don't get out much" is a euphemism for being ignorant.  That is to say that that phrase sounds nicer than saying "I am ignorant."  "He passed away" is a euphemism for "He died."  Euphemisms sound better than blunt reality. Today I heard a phrase that sounded funny.  One lady said to another "I love your ear screws."  What is an ear screw?  I knew what it was from the context of the remark.  I googled "ear screws" and sure enough they make earrings for people with non-pierced ears that are literally a "C" clamp. You tighten the screw to clamp the thing to your ear lobe.  Seems like that would be uncomfortable. Janie does not wear earrings though she used to. An elderly lady once told me the story that she heard one lady say to another concerning her ear screws that "If that were a growth on your ear you couldn't get to the doctor's fast enough to have it removed."  Talk about being blunt, that takes the prize.
I preached a sermon on how you can know that you are saved.  It was a very blunt sermon.  I used no euphemisms whatsoever.  I used the plainest of terms to tell my congregation just exactly what you must do to be saved.  If you have not done this you are lost and headed for hell. Euphemisms have a proper place in language.  They can be used to comfort those in grief.  They can sooth hurt feelings. They can admonition and rebuke gently and persuasively.  Euphemisms have no place in the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  People need to hear the truth as plainly and bluntly as it can be told.  There are six things you need if you have not been saved.  If you do not know Jesus Christ as your Savior you need these six things.
1. You need to believe in God. (Hebrews 11:6)
2. You need to believe that the Bible is God's word. (2 Timothy 3:16)
3. You need to know that you are lost and condemned. (John 3:18)
4. You need to know how to be saved. (Acts 16:31; Luke 13:3; Romans 10:13)
5. You need to want to be saved. (Acts 26:28; Acts 24:25)
6. You need to repent and believe in Jesus Christ NOW. (2 Corinthians 6:2)

Tomorrow morning I will be preaching at the nursing home. It would not surprise me at all if I used some euphemisms when speaking to that audience.  They need and deserve soft words and gentle phrases of greatest respect and honor. 

Tuesday is Bible day as well with the ladies in the morning and Faith MBC of Hewitt in the evening.  I will enjoy both immensely. The first picture is of the church building where our newest son-in-law is now the pastor. Sarah called us today and asked what Monday would be good for us to go with them to Dallas to spend the day sightseeing.  We agreed on June 7th, Lord willing. She wants to go see the aquarium in Dallas and then go to some very large mall of which she is familiar. The second picture is of Janie's roses on the north end of our house in Hillsboro. God bless you.

No comments: