Thursday, October 22, 2009

Death


Parking outside the emergency room is the fastest way to get to the ICU at Hill Regional Hospital. I went there three times today and on my last trip I stood by the bedside until death came to claim my friend. His funeral will be on Monday and I have been given the honor of officiating it. It was hard to watch his wife of almost 63 years say her final goodbye. Dee was a world war II veteran who had fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He spent three years in Europe during the war. His daughter told me that when he was in high school he and his brother went to a dance and they had to share a pair of shoes. One would go in and dance a while then come back out to let his brother have the shoes so he could go in and dance. He told her that at one point he had to wear his mother's shoes to school because he had none of his own. It is no wonder to me that this generation has been called the greatest.

It's off to Dallas in the morning, Purdon the next day, Corsicana on Monday, Henderson Wednesday night, and then to Tyler on Thursday. Right now its off to bed. The picture is of my wife, granddaughter, and daughter at the doctor's office. On this visit she found out that she will be having a boy. Though I have been telling everyone already that we have nine grandchildren the newest one will not arrive until March. God bless you.

No comments: