Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sewing in the Morning

Mother's new sewing machine
I went over to my mother's house while Janie went with her mother to the beauty shop yesterday.  I had to stop at 2 different drug stores before I got to mother's.  When I came out of the first drug store there in Henderson I got into my car and the battery was dead.  I called my brother-in-law and he just happened to be in town and was there at my side in less than 5 minutes.  He had jumper cables and got me going. He followed me to the auto parts store just down the street where I bought a new battery and they installed it for me.  Once back on the road I finished my drug store run and got to mother's house about 1 o'clock.  We had a good long visit.  I showed her the 309 pictures I had of our vacation.  We went outside and sat in the shade for awhile.  It was 100 degrees.  Mother's sewing machine had quit on her and she had bought a new one from Wal-mart but it was broken right out of the box so she returned it.  She told me she was going to go to Longview and shop for a new machine. I offered to take her to Longview and she was hoping that I would.  We went to a real nice sewing center.  This place was amazing having everything a sewing person could want.  We looked at the sewing machines while waiting for someone to help us.  They sell a brand of machine of which I had never heard.  It is company called "PFAFF."  I gather from what mother said and the sales lady that it is a very good brand.  The lady showed mother three different machines and mother chose the best of the three. I interrupted her and the sales lady saying "hold on not so fast, what about these over here."  They had some with computer screens with USB ports and software.  I felt as though the lady and Mother wanted to slap me at the same time.  The lady said "Those are not for you mother this is the one she needs." Mother completely agreed not wanting anything that remotely resembled something digital.  We bought the machine and the lady opened it up  and showed mother how to use it and made sure it was working properly.  I put it in the car and off we went.  I told her when I left her house not to stay up all night sewing
Mother checking out the book on her new machine
with that new machine.  She was excited about it I could tell.  She assured me that she would wait until the morning.
Janie and I will head back to Hillsboro this morning stopping to see our daughter's new house in Palestine.  I preached the sermon that I am going to do Sunday to my in-laws last night.  It made me anxious to preach it Sunday morning.  God bless you. 

No comments: