Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Old Acquaintance


We went to the nursing home on Monday and I led the singing of three old hymns of which all were acquainted. We returned home and I went up to the office at the church to do some work. It was all in all a good day.

Today was Old Acquaintance day. We went over to Henderson Monday night and got up this morning to attend the East Texas district ladies auxiliary meeting. Janie, our neice Susie, and I sang a special entitled "Through It All." Jason reported on their work in France and then he preached a really good sermon comparing Zechariah and Mary from Luke chapter one. After eating a very good lunch provided by the ladies of Pleasant Hill there was a funeral at their church. It turned out to be an old acquaintance of ours who had died and so after a short visit with my mother who had also come to the meeting we returned to the church for the funeral. It was good to visit with the family of the lady who had died. Many of them we had not seen in years. We stood in the parking lot of Pleasant Hill church and reminisced of old times. It is somewhat sad that it is so often at funerals that we meet our old acquaintances. The picture was taken when we went over to my mother's for a visit. Mother had an appointment at 2 and Angie stayed at her house while Jason, Lilia, Janie and I went to the funeral.

After the funeral we went to my daughter's house in Palestine. They have been fixing their place up putting a lot of flowers out in their yard. This second picture is of their Azaleas. We went out to eat with them at a Mexican food place and enjoyed our visit. We are home now and waiting for Jason and his family to arrive. It is looking like I will be in bed before they get here. Tomorrow I will be at the church office and Thursday I will be in Dallas for Clint's next surgery.

Sunday I was called by a man who was on a pulpit committee. He wanted to know if I would be interested in coming to his church in view of a call. I told him that I felt very very strongly that I was exactly where God wanted me to be and would not waste their time nor mine by going there. I feel very good about the work here in Hillsboro. I want to stay, as long as God wants me to, right here in Hillsboro until I become to the people here an old acquaintance. God bless you.

No comments: