Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Monday


There was a singing group back in the 60's called "The Mamas and The Papas." They had a hit song named "Monday Monday." The song is a lament of the fact that Monday morning can not give you any guarantee of what will happen Monday evening. My Monday has not turned out as planned. I did get a lot of things done today. I fixed a computer problem, read my daily Bible readings, walked 6 miles, got off to a good start on the sermon for Sunday, got 2 "from the Pastor"'s done, went to the bank, went to the post office, and blogged all today. I hope to finish the day with a few more pieces of the puzzle in place. I talked to both of my brothers today one by email and the other by phone and they are both doing well. My oldest brother is getting ready to paint and install tiles on the floor of the bathroom. Sounds like he is making good progress.
The picture is of my two sisters and my mother taken two years ago. My oldest sister and I were discussing health issues. We both have high blood pressure and are striving to improve our health and get off the pills. It brought this verse to my mind.
(Exodus 15:26) And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I [am] the LORD that healeth thee.
Your Doctor will tell you that you need to eat right and exercise in order to maintain a healthy life and avoid diseases. It is good to follow such advice. Moses recorded God’s advice for a healthy disease free life. Here in this verse God gives to us four things which we should do to have a life without disease.
1. Diligently hearken to God’s voice. God’s voice today is the Bible. Diligently means that you must deliberately and faithfully listen to what the Bible teaches. Read it every day.
2. Do that which is right in His sight. We must act upon what we read in the Bible. When it commands, we obey.
3. Give ear to His commandments. We are to put ourselves into a position where we can hear the commandments of God. Tune your ear to His words. Don’t let God’s words be drowned out by the words of this world. Focus on what God has to say.
4. Keep all His statutes. Not some but all. Don’t pick and choose what part of God’s Law you will keep. Keep the whole law. Keep all His statutes.
When we follow God’s admonition found in this verse He will put none of these diseases upon us. God alone is the one who heals us.
Examples: King Asa was diseased in his feet because he did not obey God. Hezekiah was dieing from a boil because he did not obey God. Herod disobeyed God and was smitten of worms. David suffered great illness after committing adultery and murder. The Philistines were smitten with boils and sores because they disobeyed God. Thousands of Israelites were kill by plague because they did not obey God. Search the scriptures and you shall find many cases were people suffered with disease as a result of not diligently hearkening unto God. God bless you.

No comments: