Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bro. Paul's Phone here...

Carlos Hunt, the man who photographed our wedding 37 years ago.
I am Bro. Paul's cell phone.  He takes me everywhere he goes.  He often takes me out of the pocket where I ride around all day and shows me things that are happening in his life.  He asks me to take and keep snapshots of these moments and I do so without complaint.  Though I have been made by man and know not my maker, I have seen Bro. Paul's maker working in his life and can only conclude that He is gracious, merciful, and patient.
My brother-in-law Steve and his 90 year old mother.
Take today for example.  I saw him fall on the parking lot flat on his back when his feet, on the wet pavement, went out from under him.  I was in his shirt pocket so I was glad he did not fall forward.  He rose unscathed and unhurt. I got to see him driving extra carefully in the rain as he took his mother-in-law and Janie to a 90th birthday party.  He had me to snapshot that event several times.  He had me to take a picture of a man who was taking pictures at this event.  This man was the man who photographed his and Janie's wedding 37 years ago.  The lady who had turned 90 is a very good poet and belongs to a poetry society.  As Bro. Paul came in from the rain he was met at the door by this lady and two men who were members of the poetry society.  They, seeing him come in wet with rain, stated the obvious "It must still be raining."  Bro.Paul responded to them by saying "This kind of weather calls for a duck poem don't you think?"  He quoted them Ogden Nash's poem "The Duck" which goes like this:
Behold the duck.
It does not cluck.
A cluck it lacks.
It quacks.
It is specially fond
Of a puddle or pond.
When it dines or sups,
It bottoms ups.
My in-law's at the nursing home waiting for his supper.
The poetry people were very impressed.  They said he should write that poem down.  To which Bro. Paul admitted that it was a poem he had learned in High School.  
After the party Bro. Paul took his mother-in-law to the nursing home so they could visit with his father-in-law.  He took me out of his pocket again and had me to snapshot that moment as well.  It seems his father-in-law does not want to eat and does not want to get out of bed.  They made him do both though he only ate three or four bites of food.  He wants to go home really badly.  He just does not have the strength to do so and should he go home in his current condition he would lay in bed all the time and grow weaker.  Bro Paul is deeply concerned for him and prays for him a lot. 
Janie and her mother at the birthday party, her sister is to the right.
I delivered Bro. Paul a message at 4:00 this morning from his son in France.  The message said the box had arrived.  This was a box of Christmas presents and it was very late getting there.  He turned around and used me to talk to his son and I detected a sense of joy and gladness in his voice as he talked with his son.  He loves his son and is proud of him.  I road on the dash of the car all the way back to Hillsboro except when he took me into a Mexican food place where he and Janie ate some supper.  According to my built in GPS we were in Jacksonville, Texas.  He returned me to my perch on the dash and we made it home just fine.  I was glad he drove 55 most of the way due the rain.  I felt a lot safer.  I have noticed that Bro. Paul takes an awful lot of pictures of Janie.  He keeps 24 pictures of her synced on me and frequently views them, mostly when he is away from her for any length of time. He loves her a lot.  
Bro. Paul usually leaves me home on Sunday's but I think he plans to take some pictures at church tomorrow so I bet I will get to hear some joyful worship of Bro. Paul's maker.  I am looking forward to that.  I am going to close this blog with the same prayer for you that Bro. Paul uses.  God bless you.  

No comments: