Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hiking



It was a very busy day today. It is now late evening, almost bedtime, and I am just now blogging. I went hiking with my son-in-law and grandson. The picture is of them looking down the trail that is covered with water. A lot of the trail was covered with water. Our feet got very wet. We hiked 4 miles on Monday and 5 miles on Tuesday. We tried to keep our feet dry but one slip and your foot was soaked. After that we just waded right through the water. We had sandals to wear while our shoes dried out. They did not dry over night so in the morning we used the hand dryer in the rest room on them. We ended up having to set up camp in the dark. We used the headlights on the car to set up the 2 tents and we cooked our supper by flash lights. The hot dogs were good. We sat at the table and visited for a while before bedding down for the night. I slept in a one man pup tent while they slept in my two man home made tent. I called my wife and told her good night and drifted off to sleep fairly quickly. My down sleep bag kept me warm during the 50 degree very damp night. About 2:30 in the morning my grandson awoke and thought he heard wild hogs outside the tent. He woke his father up and asked if it was a wild pig he was hearing. Scott set his mind at ease when he explained that the noise he was hearing was not a pig at all but was his grandfather snoring. They said they did not sleep very well but I slept just fine. The whole side of my one man tent opens up and since it was too cold or too early for mosquitoes I was able to leave it open. The stars were amazing. This picture is the one I took with my cell phone right after I woke up. I was laying on my back and took this shot. We had pop tarts and milk for breakfast, took down the tents, stored our gear, dried our shoes with the hand dryer in the rest room, and then it was off to hike again. The last picture is of Joshua and Scott standing on one of the many board walks that were along the trail. All the low places were filled with water and a lot of the trail was covered with water. Again our feet got soaking wet but all in all we had a good time. First thing we did when we got back to the car was to remove our socks and shoes, dry our feet and put on sandals. At one point we let Joshua take a short cut while we took the long trail. We were to meet up at the intersection but he was stopped short by about 50 feet due to the trail being under water. We got to him and convinced him to just wade through it and with the assurance that there would not be any snakes in the water he marched right through. Upon arriving home we ate lunch and sat in a circle in the living room and told the girls our hiking tales. Janie and I departed for home and it is good to be back.
We took the last 2 seats out of the bus and delivered them to be recovered. Next week we will be finished with this project and Janie has made a scrap book of the project a copy of which we will give to the couple who did the work. I have the sermon ready for Sunday except I have not typed it up yet. I will try to get that done tomorrow and then get the sermon ready for Sunday night. I should finish my rough draft of the prospectus Friday and get that out to my daughters for proof reading and then off to my sisters for their analysis. Hopefully I will have it turned in by the middle of April. Well I had better head for bed. God bless you.

No comments: