Friday, October 31, 2008

The People


Janie and I went, on our own accompanied only by 8 year old Lilia, to the grocery store. It was interesting to be almost illiterate when shopping. We found the items for which we were looking and went to the check out. The cashier was in training and Lilia had to go back for something we thought of after arriving at the check out line. The two ladies who were there, the cashier and her trainer, did not speak English. They knew only a few words and I only knew a few words of French. I struck up a conversation with them and they smiled while trying to speak what few English words they knew and at my poor attempt to speak French. I have found that the French people are very friendly. I have felt very safe here. The people seem to mind their own business and are very quite. I notice also that the dress in dark colors. I have a light tan colored hat that you have seen in some of the pictures I have posted here. I felt like I was wearing loud clothing. After the grocery store we stopped at a bakery shop and bought some baguettes. The lady behind the counter seemed to be amused that we were relying on an 8 year old to place our order. We are going to watch a movie with our grand kids now before they go to bed. They are eating their Halloween candy right now. All has gone well with our visit here so far and we are having a great time. God bless you.

No comments: