Thursday, July 31, 2008

In the Way


The Lord commanded Israel to teach the Law to their children. They were to talk about the Law when they walked in the way. That is to say that as they were traveling they were to talk about God's commandments. Traveling time is to be used constructively. When Janie and I travel we try to make the time productive time. We frequently listen to the Bible as we drive. Sometimes she drives and I have my laptop out working on a sermon. Other times she has the laptop out and is doing work. I have traveled over 47,700 miles in the past 14 months in my car. That seems like a lot but thanks to modern technology it was productive time.


I will be traveling to Henderson to help my mother with some business. I will put the finishing touches on the sermon for Sunday as we travel. I will be back in the book of John chapter 18. The sermon is entitled "Arrested." Jesus arrested the crowd that came to arrest him. I learned something new while studying for this sermon and am anxious to share it with my congregation.

A strange thing happened the other day. A woman from Colorado who had visited our service last December was visiting in a nursing home in her home town. She heard from the next room my voice preaching the same sermon she had heard back in December. She called her grandmother who is a member of our church and asked how that could be. We have no explaination for it. It may be that someone recorded our service from the radio broadcast and mailed it to someone in Colorado. What ever the explaination it is nice to know that our services are reaching more than just our local area. It just seems strange that the lady heard the exact same sermon on the very day she chose to visit the nursing home.

The picture is of my mother a several years ago. God bless you.

No comments: