Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cremains

Cremains does not sound like a real word does it. It is the proper word for the ashes of a body that has been cremated. My mother, brothers, sisters and our spouses went to the cemetery on Tuesday to bury dad's cremains and to have a private time of reflection. My mother's brother met us there and provided us with a posthole digger. My youngest brother dug the hole and I placed the cremains in the ground and carefully covered them over. We stood in a circle and each read a passage of scripture. My younger sister was overcome with tears and could not read her passage so my older brother put his arm around her and read the passage for her. When we had all finished we sang "Farther Along", a song my father had sung just a few hours before he died. My older brother lead us in a prayer and then we embraced each other for a while and then returned to mother's house to bid each other good night. This morning we will have the formal grave side service. There will be many there and I will bring a short message from 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 18. Check back here to see more pictures and some details of the funeral. God bless you.


No comments: