Saturday, June 28, 2008

An Hour Sermon


Generally my sermons are about half an hour long. I figure that the attention span of most people is stretched to the limit after that length of time. In college I took classes that lasted for an hour and a half. The teacher was not interested in the length of my attention span. He never observed me sleeping or day dreaming in class. He was there to teach me what I had paid him to teach me. If I wanted my money's worth I would increase my attention span and stay focused for the whole 90 minutes. People are suppose to come to church to worship the Lord and to learn from the Bible the things they need to be good disciples of Jesus Christ. Whatever time that takes they should be willing to spend even if it means having to buckle down and stay focused during the services. I may well strain their endurance this Sunday. I preached the sermon while taking my daily walk and I tried to cut out as much as possible to keep it short and with it trimmed to the bone it is still an hour long. I feel strongly that it needs to be preached in one setting so will do the best I can to finish as quickly as possible. The people who listen to our broadcast will not get the whole sermon this time.

We had a good visit with my niece and her family. Her husband is preaching for us tomorrow night. I took them out to eat at a mexican food place for supper. I ordered enchalada's made with flour tortillas and the brought me corn to which I am very allergic. I took a bite and did not realize that it was corn until after I had swallowed it. They came and got my plate and returned with flour tortillas and I watched the clock to see if I was going to break out or not. If I break out in hives within 10 minutes I have to rush to the hospital. I did not break out at all. I was amazed. It use to be the least bit of corn flour or corn meal would send me to the hospital. I thank the Lord for sparing me once again. I may take a benedril tonight just to be on the safe side.

Janie just read me a skit she wrote for the upcoming ladies auxillary meeting. It was real good. I think she should write a book of skits to share with other churches. We are going to be pressed for time on that day for we will need to leave the service by noon to make it to my son-in-law's ordination service.

I will be going back over to Henderson again on Monday to take my dad to the doctor's office. I want to ask him some questions about my dad's health and make sure I understand what needs to be done to help his pain. He sure was sick these past few days. I wanted to mow their yard but my mother put her foot down and said no. She hid the key to the lawn mower on me so I could not mow it. She probably knew what was best for me for the day before I had gotten too hot and had a headache all night. I am better today though and am sure looking forward to the services tomorrow. The picture is of Janie holding what was then our 2 youngest grandchildren, Hannah and Andrew. God bless you.

No comments: