Thursday, June 26, 2008

Been a while


I have not bloged in a few days, just too busy. We are in Henderson right now helping the folks over here. My Dad is very sick and though it went well at the doctor's office he was not feeling any better. They do not know what is causing his pain. He will be going to his regular doctor Monday and I expect they will try to give him some pain medicine to help him out.

I am going to help my niece hook up her trailer house tomorrow and also mow my dad's lawn. Tomorrow is my grandson's birthday. He will be turning 10 years old. I want to go hiking with him again this fall.
We had good services Wednesday night. The picture was taken this past Wednesday night. There was a visitor who was riding a bicycle across America. He was a homeless man and wanted us to put him up in hotel for the night. I told him that we would not do that except for cases of emergency. He is homeless by choice and it was a beautiful night out that night and I am sure he found a grassy spot somewhere to bed down for the night. When my brother and I hike we sleep on the ground with a make-shift pillow. We do so by choice and this man was crossing America by choice. I felt our benevolence fund would be better spent on those who were truly in need. Had the man been hungry and without money I would have fed him but a motel room in his case was not a need.
Fuel prices are high and I am driving way more than I want to drive. It is not so much a matter of money as it is of principle. I feel I am being taken advantage of and wish I could do more to stop it. My grandfather dipped snuff most of his life and when he reached 80 years old or so he quit dipping. He did this when the price of snuff hit something like $1.00 a bottle. He said he just wasn't going to pay that. He could afford it but it was the principle. I don't have to drive. I could just say I am going to walk or ride a bike where ever I go. I certainly would save a ton of money. But I like to visit with family and I like to go places in comfort and be protected from the weather while traveling and so for this luxury I must pay.
I am working on a project right now that will save me a lot of work in the future. If I am elected as the camp registrar for next year I want churches going to camp to register online. If this works out ok I want to set up the same thing for churches to register online for the MBA of Texas. In each case it will take a user name and password to access the site. All I will have to do is run the reports as I need them. It is a lot of work up front to save me a lot of work in the years to come.
Well I better go for now. God bless you.

1 comment:

Anastacia Maness said...

I remember the day that everyone was complaining when Gas prices went up to a $1.00 a gal. I remember telling Scott that a year or two when Gas prices went up to $2 everyone will be wanting the $1 a gal back. I guess I could write a whole blog on gas prices. :)
Happy Driving, Dad! :)