Saturday, February 16, 2008

It is Finished


The tent is finished except for seam sealing. I folded and put it into the sack I made for it and added the tent stakes and took it to the scales. I was a little disappointed. My one man tent with steaks weighed 42 oz's. This 2 man tent with stakes weighs, drum roll please......... 32 oz's.

The stakes weigh close to 3 oz's so the tent without the stakes weighed just a hair over 29 oz's. I could remove the door flap and the foot flap but I estimate that they would weigh just a hair over 1 oz. For the convience of the flap I think the weight is worth it for now. I can always discard them when we get to Warner Springs, California. I am glad to have this project behind me. When the weather dries up here in a few days I will set up the tent and seam seal it. There will be a picture posted here after it is set up. My brother suggested setting it up at night by flash light in the event we want to hike into the night as we cross the desert. I will let you know how that comes out. Practice makes perfect and the trail is no place to practice. Now its off to the grocery store to get the food for the hike. Mounting my umbrella to my back pack will be my next project, should not be much problem. Cothing is ready and I have decided not to wear socks on my feet when I sleep. My down bag will be plenty warm enough. I carried some warm socks for sleeping in when I hiked last year and was glad I did for my sleeping bag was too lite. This will save an ounce or so.

Well tomorrow is Sunday and I look forward to our services. We had a good cleaning day at the church today and the new floor in the fellowship hall looks great. Our music/youth director will have completed 6 years at Walnut Street on Sunday after next. We are going to have a fellowship in his honor. He is really good at his work. He has a great personality and loves the Lord. I look forward to many many more years serving with him here, Lord willing.

Well I am headed for bed. I will rise at 6:00 am and visit with the Lord in prayer and review the Sunday School lesson and the sermon all before breakfast. God bless you.

No comments: