Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Three more nights in a bed.


Well I have 3 more nights in a soft bed and then I will have 3 nights on the ground before I see a bed again. After that it will be 8 nights on the ground before I see a bed again. It is not possible really to explain the experience one has when long distance hiking. It lets you see how luxurious your life at home is. One of the things hiking teaches a person is that you really don't need a lot of stuff to get by in this world. Another thing it teaches is a dependancy upon God. We are dependent upon Him every hour of every day if we would but realize it. On the trail far from civilization your eyes are opened and you see just how much you need God. I live one block from a hospital, 2 miles from a police station and 2 miles from a fire station. The crime rate is low and it is easy to feel safe and secure at home. These things can blind one to the reality that it is God who protects us and cares for us. I am as safe on the trail miles from civilization as I am in the parking lot of a fire station, hospital, or police department. Obedience to the commands and will of God is that which makes one safe and secure (Deuteronomy 32:46-47). A horse is a vain thing for safety and the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. I go hiking and as I go I put my trust in God.
My wife will be updating this blog as she hears from me on trail. She will not have pictures to post but will let you know how my brother and I are progressing. God bless you.

1 comment:

abainfrance said...

Hey Dad, You ought to post a google earth image of some of the trail.