Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back to the grind stone

We had a great Lord's day. Tomorrow it is back to the grind stone. We will go to the church house about 8:00 am and clean the building for it is our turn. We will then go to the nursing home where I will preach for the residence there. We will go to the bank and post office and then spend the afternoon mowing and cleaning up the yard at the parsonage. I plan to continue my walking each day for my health and strive to finish reading the Bible three times through this year. I am looking forward to seeing my niece and her husband in a few weeks as they make the move to TBI in Henderson.

More on the hike: We hiked a total of 22 miles on the first day and after our break at the picnic area we made it to this small creek in the bottom of a small canyon. This is a picture of my brother wetting his bandana in the stream to cool off, it was about 85 degrees at this point but the water was really cold. We were not low on water at this point so we did not fill our canteens believing that there was a water source just a few miles away. That water source turned out to be unreliable and we did not want to walk six miles back to this creek just to fill up so we continued on. That night I had only enough water to take my pills and I was exhausted. I slept incredibly well for sleeping on the ground that was badly sloping. The tent sagged really bad during the night and I woke up with the top of the tent just inches from my face. My brother had to wake me up on this morning because between the Advil and the Benedril I was out like a light. My brother gave me some of his water so I could choke down my breakfast and then we headed off for the water source that was just 2 more miles down the trail. I will give you more about his second day in my next blog post. The video of us hiking along the trail. We have just come out of the hills to a long flat section of the desert. The hills in the distance was our destination and it was at the base of these hills that we gave up and headed home. God bless you.



No comments: