Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sale and Salt

The skit
Janie and I left this morning to attend the district ladies auxiliary meeting.  The skit the ladies at Second Avenue put on was outstanding!  The scene was set at a garage sale and the ladies did a great job playing their parts.  The pastor of the church preached a really good message about Christians being the salt of the earth.  It seemed sad to me that of the 20 people that were there only 3 were from other churches.  The meal they served was really good.  I visited at length with the pastor and I really do like him.  Every time I have heard him preach he has done a great job. 
I have been working on a new database program for the Missionary Baptist Association of Texas.  The old database program will not run on this new Mac Pro laptop.  This new program is going to be a lot better than the old one.  It is time consuming to write but will save a lot of time in the long run. 
Another Parsonage Flower
Diesel fuel has reached $3.99 a gallon here in Hillsboro.  The next trip I make to Henderson will take a lot longer than it would normally.  I am sort of like my grandfather.  When snuff reached a certain price he cold turkey quit dipping.  When fuel is $4.00 a gallon I drive to get the best mileage I can.  I once drove 45 mph in a 70 mph zone just because I went from getting 42 mpg to 60 mpg.  Those days are back.  More time on the road does not mean less time for work thanks to technology.  The laptop will earn its keep on the road. 
This Sunday I will be taking the congregation to the Cross of Calvary.  It is a place that I do not enjoy visiting but have been commanded to visit for the Lord said "This do in remembrance of Me." 
Jennie E. Hussey wrote a wonderful hymn:
King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn-crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary. 
Show me the tomb where Thou wast laid,
Tenderly mourned and wept;
Angels in robes of light arrayed
Guarded Thee whilst Thou slept.
Let me like Mary, through the gloom,
Come with a gift to Thee;
Show to me now the empty tomb,
Lead me to Calvary.
 May I be willing, Lord, to bear
Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share,
Thou hast borne all for me.
Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.
Well it is going to be a tough day tomorrow.  Reliving the scene at Calvary is emotionally draining.  God bless you.

No comments: