Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas


Christmas will soon be here. In the past several years I have had little or no enthusiasm for the season. The tree seems like more trouble than it is worth. Our kids are grown and it was more fun when they were around to enjoy it. I am going to try to work up some enthusiasm for Christmas. I think I will start with a tree decorating party. Hot Chocolate, homemade pie, Christmas music everything that sets the mood for Christmas will be there. I want to try stringing popcorn for the tree. I may also make a chain out of construction paper and a foil covered cardboard star for the top of the tree just like when I was a kid.

I am contemplating a series of sermons for Christmas. The object of the Christmas season ought to be Jesus Christ. The tree, the gifts, the songs, the fellowship ought to be centered around Jesus Christ the Lord. It is a time to rejoice and celebrate God's gift of His Son.

We hope to have a visit from our children at Christmas. I am going to make a big pot of chili, homemade fruit cake and rolls for Christmas day. Family being together and enjoying each other's company is my favorite part of Christmas. It is my hope that our family can be together at Christmas and play games together and enjoy good eating and good singing. I have in the past told my children not to buy me presents but to come and see me instead. The best things in life are not things. We celebrated Christmas early with my son and his family in Paris, France. Just being with them for the week was a joy.

This will be a busy week. I am to get a hair cut before I preach at the nursing home in the morning. I need to go to the post office and to the store. "From the Pastor" for next Sunday will be composed tomorrow afternoon and my lesson for Wednesday night will be completed before I call it a day. Tuesday I will be preaching at a funeral and will be going down to Waco for services with the Faith Missionary Baptist Church. Wednesday will be spent getting ready to pick up the kids for our Mid-Week Bible School. I should also get our local Baptist association minute book to the publisher. I will finish my work for the MBA of Texas and get that emailed off this week. Janie and I will need to return to Henderson for her parents doctor's appointments. I will use my day off to work on the house there and will work on my thesis Friday before returning to Hillsboro. The picture is of Christmas 2005. We celebrated Christmas at a motel in Kingsville, Texas that year. God bless you.

No comments: