Monday, November 24, 2008

1937



In 1937 the German zeppelin Hindenburg burst into flames at Lakehurst, N.J., killing 35 of the 97 passengers and crew on board and one of the ground crew. There was an explosion at the New London school (the same school our children attended) in march of that year killing over 300 students and teachers. That same year the main part of our house in Henderson was built. It was a three room house and a family of six lived in it. There was no indoor plumbing in those days when the Pierson family lived there. In 1946 they added two more rooms onto the south end of the house and a bathroom on the north end. We bought the place in 1976 and remodeled the bathroom and the kitchen. In 1994 we enclosed the front porch which added a walk in closet and a small office space to the house. In 2001 we added 3 rooms upstairs and one downstairs to the house. Today the porch has been restored and my oldest Brother and I stripped all the Sheetrock out of the old bathroom and now have it ready to be completely overhauled. It was dirty work but the end result will be worth it. The expensive part will be the kitchen cabinets. I was in the process of building the cabinets when I left Henderson 6 years ago. I now have incentive to get back on them again. I will build them in Hillsboro and bring them to Henderson for installation. This will take a while for I will not allow it to interfere with my pastoral duties.
Next week we will begin to run the bus on Wednesday nights again and I am so looking forward to that. The kids have expressed their eagerness to come and I feel like the teachers are also refreshed and eager to help these children have a relationship with Jesus Christ. In 1937 Dr. A. J. Kirkland left Walnut Street Missionary Baptist Church after being their pastor for 6 and 1/2 years. In those years 678 people joined the church. Perhaps the Lord will again bless His church with such growth as we reach out to our community with His Gospel message.
Tomorrow I plan to work with my brother on the house and then return to Hillsboro for a very special thanksgiving service on Wednesday. God bless you.

No comments: