Saturday, February 26, 2011

Palo Duro Canyon Trip

2 foot wide ledge leading to a plateau next to the lighthouse formation
We had a really good trip to Palo Duro Canyon.  We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Canyon and got a real good night sleep.  I will tell all about the hike on my hiking page (see tab above).  Janie made it all the way a total of 6.15 miles round trip.  I was not sure that she would due to the fact she does not walk as much as I do.  Her feet were fine and her legs were sore when we got home.  I was proud of her.  She even climbed the slippery steep, steep grade up to the lighthouse formation itself.
Almost to the base of the Lighthouse formation
There is a spot where you can walk a narrow ledge next to the lighthouse formation and get to a plateau where there is a really nice view but something about having a 50 foot vertical rock wall face on one side and just two feet to the other side is eternity made me want to skip that view.  As we hiked back to the car two young ladies passed us headed for the lighthouse.  I told them that if two fifty seven year old people could do it they could too.  We got back to the hotel around five and ordered a pizza, ate and took a nap.  It was a really good time.  We stopped only once to eat on the way home.  We left at 10:00 and got home at 4:40 for a total of 6 hours and 40 minutes traveling time.  That is not bad for a 400 mile trip.  We got 45 miles to the gallon and diesel was $3.69 a gallon where we stopped for lunch.
It is good to be home. After unpacking and having a snack I spent a couple of hours with the Bible and I loved every minute of it.  Tomorrow is my favorite day of the week and I can't wait for it to get here. 
Taking a break on our way back to the car
Janie with Capital Peak behind her
Below are some of the pictures we took at the canyon.  The pictures do not do the scene justice.  I recommend you try to make a trip to this beautiful part of Texas.  God bless you.
Janie climbing back down from the Lighthouse summit

No comments: