Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tempest in a Teapot


I heard the term "a tempest in a teapot" today. I am over 50 years old and frequently think back on the events of my life. Many of the tempests I encountered in my life's journey seem like terrible storms at the time but looking back I can see that they were just "a tempest in a teapot." This means that they were actually not significant in the greater scheme of things. I can remember being laid off from my job back in 1982. At the time I was very stressed out and worried. But six weeks later I was back at work and all was well. Reading the Bible and keeping the bigger picture in mind will help one to realize that their tempest is not as big as it may seem. Angie called me to say that she had missed her flight and missed her connection in Chicago. I know that must be worrisome for her but she was able to make other arrangements and get to where she needed to be. God was looking out for her. When Jesus was asleep in the ship and the tempest hit, His disciples were all worried. They awoke Jesus saying "Carest thou not that we perish?" Because they lacked faith in God they could not see that this storm was just "a tempest in a teapot." The picture is of my wife and kids back in 1981. The youngest one looks like she is having "a tempest in a teapot" moment.
Tomorrow will be a busy day. I am not sure yet what all will be happening. I may be taking my father-in-law for his doctor's appointment and Chemo therapy. I will take my laptop along and try to get some work done while I wait. We need to get some shopping done and maybe we can do that tomorrow night and Saturday. I visited with my mother some today and had a good time. I went to the house and got out on the roof and looked it over. It is still leaking and I was trying to see if there was anything obvious causing this to happen. I could not see anything so will probably have to redo the shingles. The house needs a lot of work and I am not sure that Steve will be able to get all the work done as quickly as he may need it done. He may have to rent a house for a time while the work proceeds. I can not be depended upon to work on the house regularly due to my pastoral duties and family responsibilities.
Remember that when you are in a storm look up to heaven and see things from God's perspective and you will see that your storm is only "a tempest in a teapot." Merry Christmas and God bless you.

No comments: